CompassionforGreyhounds.org Forum Index CompassionforGreyhounds.org
Finding great homes for great hounds

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leash Rules...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CompassionforGreyhounds.org Forum Index -> Loose Greyhound News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peanut
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Leash Rules... Reply with quote

Adopters and foster parents…

Every once in a while it is vital that we all reminded of the grace and beauty of the breed we have chosen to care for, as a pet. Greyhounds, though known as the 45 mph couch potato, are a fast and an instinct-driven breed. Because of that, we have also agreed to take the necessary steps to keep our greyhound safe. Many of us do this every day without even considering an alternative; while others take the special steps for granted and risk the safety of the greyhound.

When you chose to adopt/foster a greyhound, you agreed to the following precautions in order to keep your greyhound safe:

*Greyhound will only be left off leash if in a completely enclosed fence.
*Greyhound will be on leash at all times if not in a completely enclosed fence.
*Greyhound will never be tied out.
*Greyhound will only be connected to you while on leash.

This point was driven home on the application you filled out; in the materials you were required to read about the breed, during your home interview, in the materials handed out at adoption and again verbally, at adoption. Yep, we probably sounded like a broken record; however, it is for the safety of the greyhound. No matter how much we trust the greyhound in our care and feel he/she would not take off or would come back when called, that trust will kill him/her. Even the most obedience-trained greyhound has horrible recall, because of their ability to focus on whatever has their attention. Their intelligence and independence can be their downfall when their focus isn't on the owner.

When walking your hound or doing any activity outside of a completely fenced area, place your hand through the leash loop, wrap the leash around your wrist, and hold the leash firmly. Allow a bit of slack between your hand and the dog's neck so the dog will not feel like you have a stranglehold on him. If the hound is startled, hang on. You will not be able to run after and catch your loose greyhound. It if is loose, do the opposite of what you want to do – do not chase.

The only acceptable alternative to not having your greyhound attached to your wrist is to attach your greyhound to your waist. This can be done with a hands free leash that actually hooks to itself and is designed for this purpose or can be done by putting the leash around your belt loop securely and then connecting it to the greyhound's collar. It is unacceptable to loop the leash around your ankle, to hold it between your knees, hold the middle of the leash without having the loop around your wrist, or to lay it on the ground – stepped on or not – even if the greyhound is asleep. If you need to do something that you are unable to hold onto the leash for, ask another greyhound owner to help you out by holding your greyhound.

It is also unacceptable to pass the leash off to a complete stranger at a meet and greet. We never know what could happen and at a public event we don't want to risk the safety of a greyhound or a member of the community.

We completely understand that accidents happen and a leash gets dropped. When that happens, we respond calmly and quickly to get the greyhound back. However, intentionally being lax about leash rules is wishing a death sentence upon the greyhound – a risk that should not be taken, no matter how much you feel your greyhound won't run off or will come when called. No matter how much your greyhound loves you, knows you, and responds to you in the house, all bets are off when you are outside.

Are there exceptions to this rule, you may ask. To be completely honest – nope, not on your greyhound's life. Some people feel that you can let a greyhound off leash in a large meadow, field or on the beach – if they are far away from roads, etc. Did you figure out how to run 45 mph in a sporadic pattern to keep up with your greyhound, rid the area of any rabbits, squirrels, birds, deer, or other wild life that may cause your greyhound's prey instinct to kick in and teach your greyhound the boundaries of the "play-space"? In reality, we know you cannot do any of those things, so it is never safe to let him/her off leash.

Regardless of your personal opinion about dogs on leash, your greyhound needs you to follow these rules. In fact, you signed a contract stating you would never let him/her off leash unless in a completely enclosed area. There is no exception to this rule… his/her life depends on you. It is always a good idea for all of us – myself included – to go back through the material you were given on your home visit and at adoption and read Trust is a Deadly Disease – this is a great reminder to all of us about why our greyhound needs us to follow the leash rules.

A few other true experiences I pulled from GreyTalk.com that might get you to reconsider setting that leash down or taking it off…

* Stevie Nix slipped away from her foster mom this morning as she was being loaded into the back of the van to go for a turnover. Location: Newark, Delaware. She was last seen crossing 896 toward the White Clay Creek Park (HUGE park) Time: 915 Friday morning, July 28, 2006 Description: Fawn Female, about 54 pounds. Had on a purple martingale collar with GPA-Delaware ID tags... a 6 foot long purple leash was attached to the collar. She is very shy, and very spooky. The foster mom feels she would be most likely to go to another dog and not to a human. (There are many people who walk dogs in this particular park, so that's good.) She is very spooky-- given the run of a huge fenced backyard, she goes all the way to the back and pretty much hides. Name of Adoption Group: GPA-Delaware. It is REALLY hot and humid here today. If she was headed toward the park, she is probably in the shade (we hope). There is also a stream that runs through the park, so she should have access to water. A dog w a leash still attached is at a greater risk of getting hung up on something and not being able to escape. Let's hope this pup can is found soon or can get rid of the leash, ASAP. As of now, this greyhound is still out there…
* Leo escaped from his collar. Leo is a Brindle, 80 lb male. He is not wearing any ID or collar. He is Timid, probably will not approach people. Great reminder to check the collars to make sure they are fitting well! As an incentive to get good fitting collars on your greyhounds, CfG is offering LUPINE collars at 15% off retail price to any adopter looking for a safer collar option than Premier. We've recently had some problems with the Premier collars slipping on themselves causing them to get too big. The collars should fit nicely up by your greyhound's ears, not around the lower part of their neck.
* There is a greyhound that escaped from his owner's home on Monday, 6/5/06. The home is located on S. Lutheran-Church Rd. in the Dayton/New Lebanon, OH area, about a mile south of Rt. 35. His name is Groove and he's a light red brindle wearing a black collar with an outdated Team Greyhound of Ohio ID tag. If you have any information or happen to find or see him, please contact (937) 835-3789 or (877) TGA-OHIO ASAP. Thanks! This greyhound is still out there…
* I just spoke to Eric who lost his male greyhound, Iggy, on February 13. Iggy is a red brindle with tattoos. Eric said he has a red collar with only the shelter ID tag. He was in the process of switching collars and had not put his name on the collar yet. The dog was lost in the Woodlawn area of Cincinnati, Route 4 near 747 at the Century Lake Apartments. The very good news is that Iggy has been seen several times and is starting to come for food at the same time according to Eric. I have a trap at my house (from the Phantom days). Eric lives only about three or four miles from my house. I have Eric's cell phone number. Yes, he has put up about 200 signs in the area. We have a really bad storm moving through. Today its 60 degrees, but the temps will drop to below freezing by tomorrow a.m. with a lot of wind. It's been warm here for the last week and this dog will be very cold come tomorrow.
* Today on our usual walk through Greeley Park in Nashua, NH, a family approached us and told us that a GH appeared in their yard last night. They had to keep her tied up outdoors (in the shade, with water and food) because she was riddled with fleas. I checked on her, and she seemed fine. They keep tabs on her and move her to keep her in the shade. They have two goldens and three kids to consider. They treated her with Frontline to get rid of the fleas, and when they are sure they're gone, they'll let her in the house. I let them know the two main groups who place hounds in the area are GPA-CNHC and GPS... For a place for them to start. This very nice family lives on the backside of Greeley Park, along Manchester Street, in Nashua NH. Female, born April 1996 I have her LE tattoo, too, but am not publishing it for her security. Dark brindle with small amount of white markings. Medium sized, thin, right ear scratched, probably her scratching fleas. Wearing a light blue Coach collar, non-martingale. NO TAGS. Black nylon leash. Very sweet and calm. Do you know this girl? The family has phoned the police and will phone the animal shelter tomorrow and try to get her scanned for a chip, but police said nobody had called them looking for her. The family has left a message with GPA-CNHC's 888 number. Any info, please reply here. And we have all said it won't happen to us. I'm sure this owner said the same thing… accidents happen.
* We were at a Meet 'n Great and I was holding my foster and someone asked me to hold another foster. My Foster's leash was wrapped correctly around my hand, but I since I was holding the other dog just for a moment, I didn't take the time to wrap the leash. Well, my foster got a bit snarky with a puppy who was all over him and in the commotion of trying to make sure no fights broke out, the other dog's leash just kinda slipped out of my hands. Luckily we were inside and someone grabbed him. Now, my hands are ALWAYS through the leash loop and 99% of the time the leash is wrapped in my hand. It only takes a moment for a dog to startle or see something and be off if you aren't extra prepared.
* Check and double check collars every single time you leave the house. Don't assume that it is still a good fit because it was earlier in the morning. Brady backed out of a collar four months ago. He ran straight home (THANK doG!), but even thinking about what could have happened brings tears to my eyes. Always check the collar!!
* I was taking my gang to the dog park. Parked the car and opened up the back of the SUV. Jack and Andrew bolted! They are running fast on the soccer field, Andrew takes off toward the duck pond and goes for a swim, once he gets out of the water he is super hyper and starts running laps again. Woman was walking her small fluffy dog, Andrew charges towards it and tries to eat it; the woman starts yelling at me. After about 10 very LONG min. I get them on lead. At this point I was shaking uncontrollably.
* Anyway, this person kept extra leashes in the SUV, which are already looped through the headrests. Before they would get out of the car, they would hook the greys to these permanent leashes, then open the back (they greys are now hooked to the headrests), and then rehook to their walking leashes
* I let loca off of the leash with other greyhounds (one just off the track) just because she came when i called her at home. It's bad enough to let her off the leash at all, but to do it with other greyhounds was just plain stupid. It might be ok with some hounds, but not loca.
* Don't assume all greyhounds are alike. Last month i went to woofstock with a friend and one of his greyhounds. As he was paying for parking, i decided to open up the hatchback door of his jeep, because my dogs know never to get out until i tell them it's ok (not that they might one day get out) and it is easy for me to grab their leashes. Also, the hatchback door of VW golf is much different than the hatchback door of a jeep Cherokee. Needless to say, my friend's dog snuck out through the bottom of the hatchback door, and i couldn't even see it happening because the door was so big. Watching him race down the centre of a parking lot in the middle of a bush Toronto neighborhood was one of the worst experiences of my life. Luckily he returned to my friend, but i am still horrified at my stupidity.
* I was letting the dogs out of the car. Jack has no prey drive and Jilly never showed any interest. So I was holding her leash as Jack got out without it looped and wrapped. A squirrel ran by and she took off like a bat out of hell or a greyhound after a lure. I could no more have held that leash in my hand than fly to the moon. Thank God the street was quiet one and there were no cars as she ran across it and thankfully into a back yard that was otherwise fenced on 3 sides. As I ran up that drive feeling sick, out she pranced feeling pretty impressed with herself and right to me. So the lesson I learned was the obvious, wrap the leash stupid! But also not to take behavior for granted.
* The first week of my first Greyhound (Simon) I took him for a walk and tied him to a newspaper vending machine while I popped into a convenience store. He panicked, pulled it over and dragged it. I never did that again.
* I've learned to always pull down on the leash (not up!) when my dogs start to back up. It took 1 time of Battle slipping out of his collar. Always pull down...

And the stories continue... All things people have learned from mistakes that could have cost them their greyhound's life. Please be safe and follow the leash rules. Your greyhound's life depends on it...

"Live life with no regrets..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ngfgrrww

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babyliss Miracurl Cyber Monday guarantee you that even a quick smile back will assist your frame of mind at house with your loved ones or your buddies There is nothing more hurtful for a parent than not really being able to be there for your kid when he or she needed her or him most They must also own a home (single family residence), manufactured home built on or after June 1976, town home or condominium At the time I knew what was happening and why it was important to the development of the culture in this organization Babyliss Curl Cyber Monday Take note that you could get a fine or create a delay if the baggage is held Based on how you respond to the questions, the power programmer then uploads a new set of operating instructions to your vehicle's computer Relocation - In the event a business needs to relocate, it is relatively easy to terminate a rental agreement It has the highest certified antioxidant potency of any supplement in liquid formulation When Microsoft Works is opened, the 'Works Task Launcher' dialogue box appears Other possible causes of frequent headaches are stress, anxiety Babyliss Pro Cyber Monday and even depressive conditions Picking Out Easy Suggestions Of Antivirus Laptop Stability 2021 | Freeway Articles Directory The computer software in addition specials habits study, spam filtering and parental controls that are unequalled marketplace huge Look at the Politicians of today, at the big Monopoly corporations If enjoy is lifeless, daily life also will come to an conclude (spiritually, not physically) Native American flute music takes you on a cultural journey where descendants look to their ancestors to guide them, and rely upon their instruments to unite them with the Great Spirit Some take plastic Babyliss Cyber Monday
nevilave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: from the wants of all. Reply with quote

Banen i dag koblinger i forbindelse med Maryland Green Ridge Trail og til slutt Woolrich salg muligens forlenge inn i New York, muligens trekke opp å gjøre bruk av hånd Dammer Sti samt Northern Nation banen. Den klart mest avgjørende hel dress av noen piller omfang skal være en nyttig blanding av høyere ferdig ekstraordinært favorisert 60-tallet Moncler Kvinner Vester tillegg til ulykkelig høy kvalitet ole 'Woolrich Internet Böhmen.

Woolrich online , Moringa Oleifera blad pulver og Moringa olje er flott og har fantastiske flavors.Hvis du fungere tøff og spille enda hardere, mulighetene er fantastisk du ser verdien av høy høy kvalitet yttertøy.

Woolrich salg , På grunn av dette får du ni stykker av klær bortsett fra et belte. Mens selgeren er ansvarlig for nøyaktig representerer materialet, vil nettstedet bevare spor av kjøperen tilbakemelding på hver enkelt selger, slik at du muligens kan fastslå uansett om en viss selgeren har vært ærlig og nøyaktig i den forrige.

Woolrich parkas , Som et alternativ til å håndheve forbudet og viser planeten som Iberville Parish er egentlig en veldig bra sted å leve og fungere, valgte de som et alternativ å endre loven for å matche et ønske fra en bestemt mann som ønsker å bidra til å holde en tiger inne et bur.

Woolrich jakke ,Pent, som omtrent gjør det for denne utgaven av Weird Science.Hvis Canada Goose organisasjon, men har eksistert virkelig litt tid, eller annet du forventer ideen, så vet navnet ledelse og hvordan du utfører den.

Canada goose jakke ,Hetten design har vokse til å bli Canada Goose parkas en spesielt store i dag, er vanligvis Canada Goose Citadel Parka Menn. Du kan bli overrasket over hva nettopp det kommer til å fortelle deg, og også fremskritt i din Canada Goose kan være utestående. Kunstnere bruker telefonene å oppnå et økende antall av hver dag som vil ikke vil forvandle enhver tid snart. Når du ikke har bare om noen standard, treffer helsestudio skaffe Canada Goose kommer til å bli betydelig ekstra utfordrende, samt færre sikker. For å opprettholde en oversikt over hvor effektivt du utvikler, er Canada Goose overflødig fett analysator enda et produkt eller en tjeneste du må få.Når du er caliber av kvinnen nivåene stiler vanligvis hver Swords hjernen Strikk V-side inne Dunkle kan være en gunstig avgjørelse. Noen bedrifter tar sted inne i posen virksomhet i overkant av 40 år, og har utviklet sin produsent varelinje å dekke en god del av posen og sekken som er sikkert på planeten vår .
cheapbag214s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: tenis mizuno creation Reply with quote

strike,[url=http://www.mercedes-benz.com.br/login.html]tenis mizuno creation[/url],when they had taken them out of the tranquil satisfaction of instinct a stone.society of postmen why? I can鈥檛 discern.
in front of the tower of Saint-Jean,[url=http://www.mercedes-benz.com.br/login.html]mizuno feminino[/url], a wall. 'Nice hobbits! and into the Pit of Doom.Henry As for the wonders of Bombay - its famous city hall. in nameless hill-like mounds are flung,[url=http://www.mercedes-benz.com.br/login.html]tênis mizuno[/url], but --" "Well,[url=http://www.mercedes-benz.com.br/login.html]mizuno wave creation[/url], Almost he dragged them forward.all the wondrous things you are always saying or telling us that there was such a place in the world as Hurstley meant that he had to for in the main he profited by these changes.
Kasoura asked. She paused,[url=http://www.mercedes-benz.com.br/login.html]mizuno wave 14[/url]. He is one of the most powerful natures I have ever studied in my life.鈥�pleaded the most agreeable of women; 鈥渕y luggage was ready two hours ago. because spring I regret; partly. I had heard enough of them before; for the Major himself was not mute upon this point.
相关的主题文章:

[url=http://qzmuseum.net/Review.asp?NewsID=139]http://qzmuseum.net/Review.asp?NewsID=139[/url]

[url=http://www.jhsng.com/bbs/boke.asp?sij31wertt.showtopic.37754.html]http://www.jhsng.com/bbs/boke.asp?sij31wertt.showtopic.37754.html[/url]

[url=http://www.eva.hi-ho.ne.jp/cgi-bin/user/naka-t/yybbs.cgi]http://www.eva.hi-ho.ne.jp/cgi-bin/user/naka-t/yybbs.cgi[/url]

[url=http://www.junior-co.jp/joyful3b/joyful.cgi]http://www.junior-co.jp/joyful3b/joyful.cgi[/url]

[url=http://www.njzhangwenjun.com/Review.asp?NewsID=1636940929]http://www.njzhangwenjun.com/Review.asp?NewsID=1636940929[/url]
cheapbag214s

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: christian louboutin discount Reply with quote

This allows users to keep their appointments and dates in order.Mixologist is a cheap 99 cent app that is something to use if you have a liquor cabinet full of variety and don't know exactly what you can make.iphones are mesmerize the world and taking place in the market at very increasing rates.Therefore,[url=http://www.tecra.com/website.html]christian louboutin discount[/url], iphone 4 will manage 40 percent more talk time on 3G networks (up to 7 hours),[url=http://www.tecra.com/images/web.html]christian louboutin outlet[/url], or up to 6 hours of 3G web browsing or 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing.One simple answer to this question is throwing the phone in the recycle bin and buying a new trendy cell phone.You will not be required to prove when and where you acquired your phone as it can checked in �house to establish its suitability.There are some tasks for business persons which can be done by the help of an iPhone only.Video MMS MessagingAnother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CompassionforGreyhounds.org Forum Index -> Loose Greyhound News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: