There can be no doubt that divorce is indeed a complicated and emotionally taxing process. This is particularly true for situations where there are children involved in the equation. When a couple going through a divorce shares a child, they will have to make a number of difficult decisions regarding care and co-parenting. This includes coming to a concession regarding child support contributions.

Through the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, the law ensures that children whose parents have opted to get divorced will be properly taken care of and have their needs met after the process is finalized. In particular, the law guarantees that these children receive adequate care through financial assistance provided to the parent awarded physical custody by the court.

Non-custodial parents are expected to provide a specific and agreed upon amount of periodic payments to help meet their children’s basic needs. These payments are expected to contribute to necessities such as food, clothing, health care, and education plans until the children involved turn 18. In some instances, divorcing couples might also agree on child support contributions that help cover less pressing expenses such as college education and vacations.

The specific amount expected from a non-custodial parent will depend on a variety of factors. These conditions may differ from state to state, but most family court judges will base their decisions on the age of the children involved and the cost of their particular needs. The age and health of both parents are also part of these considerations, as well as the job and income opportunities of both parents.

As the website of the Law Offices of Baden V. Mansfield points out, there certain circumstances that might call for child support arrangements to be modified. Adjustments made to child support arrangements are made to accommodate changes in lifestyle. According to BB Law Group PLLC website, agreements can be modified in two general ways. Some cases, such as when a non-custodial parent becomes unemployed, warrant a reduction on the amount of contribution required by the court. On the inverse, a custodial parent facing financial difficulties caused by medical issues can ask for an increase in child support payments.